tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5 logging!
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:03:57 GMT
Shahar Cohen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set my tomcat log format so it will be TAB delimited but
> instead its
>
> Printing the logs as spaces delimited and not TAB.
>
> Do I need to configure any other parameters between the common
> parameters so it will separate the parameters   with tab.
>

> My tomcat log format is:
>
> pattern='%B    %a      %m      %U      %q     %s      %t      %D
> "%{Referer}i"    "%{User-Agent}i"        %S'

Really a wild guess, because I don't know how Tomcat handles this
"pattern" attribute :
Could it be that you are confused by the text editor that you use to
write this configuration file ?  I mean when you insert a tab with the
TAB key, the editor just inserts an appropriate number of spaces ?
And then maybe Tomcat, when it interprets the pattern, strips duplicate
consecutive spaces ?

As another wild guess, have you tried to insert '\t' in your pattern,
instead of pressing the TAB key.  (\t is the traditional way of
representing a TAB in various circumstances).
Like :
 > pattern='%B\t%a\t%m\t%U\t%q\t%s\t%t\t%D    ...etc..

I make no guarantees about crashing your server.