tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Heiko Klein <Heiko.Kl...@met.no>
Subject Problems upgrading from 6.0.14 to 6.0.18
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:02:23 GMT
Due to the announce security bug
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-2938 I wanted to
upgrade tomcat from 6.0.14 to 6.0.18.

Tomcat is running on a VPS on a Linux box with kernel 2.6.18. The
application has been running for a while without any problems with
tomcat 6.0.14. Load is difficult to measure due to invisible load on
host-system.

After the upgrade, I got the following problems:

* running with the NIO http connector, tomcat crashed with a 'Too many
open files' exception
java.io.IOException: Too many open files
         at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept0(Native Method)
         at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$Acceptor.run(NioEndpoint.java:
1163)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

* running with the apr connector, tomcat crashed silently, even when
shutting down it complained about threads it didn't managed to shut down.

* with apr and blocking http connector, I got problems with
cookies-handling and the advise to use Base64 encoding for cookies.

After two month struggling to get tomcat in a stable state, I switched
back to tomcat 6.0.14 with the original NIO connector:
     <Connector port="80"
                protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
                connectionTimeout="20000"
                URIEncoding="UTF-8"
                compression="on"
                enableLookups="false"
                maxThreads="100"
                maxSpareThreads="20" />
and everything worked without problems again. I made sure that I didn't
use 'allowLinking' so I'm not in danger of the vulnerability.

I hope somebody has some ideas what has gone wrong. I would like to
known what I should look for when upgrading the next time.

Best regards,

Heiko