tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 Authentication LDAP
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:49:09 GMT
Arun Raj Ramkumar wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> I have recently migrated my webapp from tomcat 4.x to 6.0 . Please let me
> know how to set up Apache 2.0 for authentication(using LDAP) by connecting
> it with tomcat 6.0 . Please let me know the steps to be followed
> like changes in httpd.conf . I am using Linux server. Is there  any settings
> need to be changed for linux server. Earlier i used sunOS.

Hi Arun.
As asked, your question is difficult to understand, and even more to
answer I think.
What is exactly what should happen where ?
I'll give you a possible scenario, and you tell us if this scenario is
what you want to do, or tell us your own scenario, ok ?

My scenario :
Your configuration is such that all HTTP (browser) accesses go to Apache
first.  Apache does the authentication via LDAP (using for example
mod_authnz_ldap) for any URLs that are protected (including the ones
that go later to Tomcat).
Than Apache decides which calls go to Tomcat (via a mod_jk connector or
mod_proxy_ajp).
mod_jk (and the Tomcat side of that connector) is configured so that the
Apache authentication is passed on to Tomcat.
Tomcat itself does not do authentication, but relies on the user-id
passed on by Apache (and the roles defined in Tomcat) to access the
Tomcat applications.

re : http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authnz_ldap.html
re : Tomcat Connector, attribute "tomcatAuthentication" or something
like that.