tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: HTTPS and Virtual Hosts
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:21:23 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
>> André Warnier wrote:
>>> Is the above, very roughly and approximatively still a valid
>>> explanation of what happens, or is it totally wrong, or has something
>>> changed in-between that I am unaware of ?
>> Yes, that's about it. Here is the official explanation:
>>
>>   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts
>>
>> The workaround is also proposed. You can use different ports or IP
>> adresses for different SSL enabled virtual hosts. For instance, you
>> could put 2 or more network cards in the server, and than configure one
>> virtual host for each of these cards.
>
> You do not need multiple NICs to support multiple IP addresses. You can
> quite happily configure a NIC with multiple IP addresses.

Allright.
Thanks to everyone for the answers and references.
This was also linked to another thread "Re. Connector problem", for
which I am also interested in the practical solution.

Now, a follow-up question :

I seem to remember that there was talk about a scheme or a protocol that
would allow (very roughly) a client/server pair to start a session using
HTTP (not SSL), negociate, then in the course of the session "upgrade"
this link to HTTPS.  And that this somehow could be a solution to the
Virtual Host issue under HTTPS.
Am I dreaming this up, or does there exist something in that general area ?