tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Adding custom http headers to pages that my Tomcat serve
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:37:48 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
[...]
I wanted to add something to my previous hypothesis that

> I believe that, in theory, the <meta http-equiv="xxxx" content="yyyy"
> ... > tag in the html document, should have the same effect as if the
> server, in the HTTP headers of the response, had sent a header like
> xxxx: yyyy
> before sending the actual content of the html page.

The reference here
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.2

seems to say that it is the other way around :
If the (html) document contains a tag
then the HTTP server (presumably by scanning the document prior to
sending it to the client) *might* use the content of this tag to add an
additional HTTP header to the response sent to the client.

Now, this would suppose that the HTTP server (Tomcat in this case)
1) scans the html pages going out before starting the response
2) effectively adds a HTTP header when it finds ditto tag above in the
html document header.

Neither of which I am sure of.  Gurus ?

The next questions would be :

1) when IE receives the response from the HTTP server, does it
effectively take into account a HTTP response header like
or does it ignore it ?
On past form, IE has a tendency to ignore a lot of things the server is
telling it, and using its own obscure logic to second-guess the server.

2) If IE does not take the HTTP server's HTTP header
into account, does it itself then interpret the <meta > tag in the html
document ?