tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Tomcat 5.5 / Windows / procrun ?
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:41:41 GMT
Hi.

I have Tomcat 5.5 running on a variety of platforms, among them Windows
XP (my laptop) and Windows 2003 server.
For the Windows installation, until now I have been using the Windows
Service Installer from the Tomcat 5.5 download page, and it works fine.

But could someone shed some light on the following puzzle ?

A recent discussion on this list triggered my curiosity, and as a result
I bumped into several things :

- the installer for Windows installs a version of Tomcat 5.5 devoid of
the usual "startup.sh/bat", "catalina.sh/bat" etc.. and instead just
installs a couple of files in Tomcat_home\bin, of which a tomcat5.exe
(which seems to be the Tomcat executable), and a tomcat5w.exe which is
the Windows GUI allowing to configure the Tomcat service..

- the "ImagePath" Registry entry for the Tomcat 5.5 Service shows this :
  C:\Tomcat5.5\bin\tomcat5.exe //RS//Tomcat5

- On the Tomcat 5.5 download page, in addition to the installer, there
also exists a Tomcat 5.5 zip file. That one seems to contain the full
complement of usual files of Tomcat, including Tomcat_home\bin, plus the
tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe which are also in the installer package.
It also contains a file "service.bat" which is described nowhere, but
seesm to be related to the procrun item of which question below.

The Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6 on-line documentation, setup page, section
for Windows, only seem to mention the Installer package.  There is a
link on both the 5.5 and 6.0 Windows setup sections, pointing to a
"Windows Service HowTo", which leads to a page mentioning "procrun 1.0",
but in the same breath indicating that it is now obsolete.

Digging further, I found a link to the Apache Commons project "Daemon",
which seems to include this "procrun" for Windows, and also a "jsvc" for
Unix.

The page there relative to procrun,
(http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html)
  apart from being relatively difficult to read, seems interesting and
seems to match the way my Windows Tomcat 5.5 instances are really
installed and running.
(See registry line above).
But I found nowhere a link to download this procrun in binary form.
I also did not find any link there pointing to any other version of
procrun...

On the other side of things, this same Apache Commons Daemon project
also covers a "jsvc", which seems to be a wrapper allowing to "run
Tomcat as a daemon under Unix/Linux".

I believe I have seen mentions of this jsvc in some Tomcat documents (or
in this forum ?), but at any rate my Tomcat Debian Linux systems seem to
run Tomcat 5.5 as daemon perfectly fine, without seeming to use this
jsvc module.
So I wonder what it is used for.

What I kind of piece together of all this is as follows :

- the packagers of Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6 for Windows use this procrun
program (in whatever version, but probably not 1.0), to take the java
JVM executable and make it into a Windows service which runs Tomcat.
This Windows Service executable is named tomcat5.exe in the msi
distribution. (Or else this tomcat5.exe is not really java packaged as a
service, but just a stub pointing to an installed Java jvm dll).
Anyway the result is packaged, together with the other Tomcat
components, into a Windows Service Installer package which is the one on
the Tomcat download page.

- the documentation of this procrun (or whatever is related to it for
Tomcat), on the Tomcat site, is out-of-date and does not match the
version of procrun that is being used above.

- the procrun program is a general utility that allows to take any Java
program (or any program ?) and turn it into a Windows service.  It thus
seems to be something like the old "srvany" workhorse, but a bit more
sophisticated.  But this procrun program does not seem to be available
for download in binary form.

- and I don't have a clue as to what jsvc may be for.

Thanks
André