tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: jstack and Tomcat 6 on Windows
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:42:42 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Brian Clark wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I run Tomcat 6.0.x as a service on Windows 2003, using Sun JDK 1.6. I
>> was trying to use the jstack program, part of the JDK, to get a stack
>> dump from Tomcat/Java on my server. However, I ran into a problem.
>> First of all, Tomcat on Windows seems to "hide" the JVM instance. Java
>> doesn't show up in my process listing. I tried running jstack against
>> the  Tomcat PID but it errored out.
>> Any idea how to make jstack work with Tomcat running as a service on
>> Win2k3?
> I can't answer your question, but a look here might provide a clue :
> That seems to be the way in which Tomcat is now implemented under
> Windows. Versions prior to 5.5 used to have a structure similar to the
> Unix version, with startup.bat and catalina.bat invoking Tomcat via
> Java, but that seems to have changed nowadays.
> Also, if it might help somewhat : open a command window and navigate to
> the Tomcat/bin directory. Then, instead of running tomcat as a service,
> just enter the "tomcatx.exe" command (where x is probably 6 in your
> case) (not the tomcatxW.exe). That will run Tomcat in the command
> window, maybe easier for you to figure out what is going on.
> Not for me though.

Addendum :
I just had another look at the Tomcat site. For version 5.5, there are 2
downloads for Windows : one is a zip, the other an msi installer.
I must have in the past downloaded and installed the msi.
I downloaded the zip version now, and that one seems to contain the
usual startup.bat and catalina.bat files, in addition to the Win32
tomcat5 and tomcat5W executables.
Maybe the .bat files allow to start Tomcat in the "traditional" way, via
Java etc.. ?

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: