tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: tomcat5.5 and ubuntu hardy heron
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 20:41:52 GMT
Quickly, before the "official tomcat" brigade arrives : try dropping
your war file in /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps instead.

I don't know yet why that is exactly, but I'm working on it ;-)

The packagers of Tomcat 5.5 for various Linux distributions seem to have
done a good job at spreading Tomcat and webapps all over the place, and
covering up their tracks with a zillion clever symlinks.
They probably had their reasons, but it makes it quite difficult to
figure out what is happening.

An alternative is to wait a couple more hours, until the first
suggestion to de-install your Tomcat package and install the Tomcat from
the official Tomcat site arrives.

wwuster wrote:
> John5342 wrote:
>> I use fedora rather than ubuntu myself so the details may differ but the
>> manager webapp may well be in a seperate package that may not be installed
>> with tomcat automatically. Try looking in synaptic for that. In fedora its
>> in tomcat<version>-admin-webapps.
>> The automatic deployment of wars depends on you setting autoDeploy to true
>> which can be done in server.xml. Check the tomcat documentation for how to
>> do that.
>> Hope it helps.
>> John5342
> Synaptic only shows:
> tomcat5.5-admin
> tomcat5.5-webapps
> and both are installed.
> I edited /etc/tomcat5.5/server.xml and added this line: autoDeploy="true"
> int the <host></host> section. I then restarted tomcat and apache2 and tried
> going to localhost:8180/sample. Still getting a 404 error.
> thanks,
> William

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail: