tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: request for servlet filter
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:29:39 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:
[lots of good stuff snipped]

> You could check out http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/, but I think that
> mod-rewrite is a full Swiss Army Chainsaw while urlrewrite is more of a
> santoku knife.

Went there, saw it, downloaded it.  It seems to do what I want, and lots
more. Haven't tested it yet, but seems serious.
Thanks for the tip.

It does lots of the same things as mod_rewrite, a bit less in some
respects, but also a bit more in a Java servlet-oriented way.
Good documentation too.
 From the look of it, I would think that if mod_rewrite is the 7-layer
Swiss Army knife for Apache, then urlrewrite certainly qualifies for the
5-blade level Swiss Army knife for Tomcat. Definitely better than a
kitchen knife, and way above what I could come up with.

Sample config file to do what I need :

<urlrewrite>
     <rule enabled="true">
	<name>Wrong IE auth settings</name>
	<note>
             The rule means that any request including Basic authentication
             will be redirected to the indicated page.
         </note>
         <condition name="auth" type="auth-type">BASIC_AUTH</condition>
         <from>^/.*$</from>
type="temporary-redirect">%{context-path}/errors/IE_settings.html</to>
     </rule>
</urlrewrite>