tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject request for servlet filter
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:32:25 GMT
Hi.

In a Tomcat servlet application context, I use the jCIFS filter (see
jcifs.samba.org) to perform Windows NTLM authentication of IE clients.
It works well.

However, to work around a problem of browsers not being set up properly,
I would need a servlet filter inserted *before* jCIFS in the chain,
which would :
- detect if a client attempts a Basic (or Digest) authentication
- if yes, either return a static non-no html page top the client
immediately as a response, or re-direct the client to such a page (1)
- if no, then simply let the request through to jCIFS and the application

I can write such a servlet filter myself, but if it already exists I
might as well save myself the time.

Would anyone know if such a module is already available ?

In principle, I have a preference for a filter that would be
light-weight and do approximatively the above and nothing much else, but
something usable under Tomcat and offering capabilities similar to the
mod_rewrite module of Apache would also interest me.

Since in this case I also have an Apache http front-end, I could use
mod_rewrite in the front-end to do it, but I prefer for maintenance
reasons to keep everything related in one place.

(1) and, as a subsidiary question, what would the Tomcat gurus here
suggest as the best alternative between these two ?

Thanks in advance,
André