tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Balance and sync data
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:20:01 GMT
Martin Spinassi wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 08:56 -0700, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

>>> Can you give me some more details or where to get some more info?
>> Runtime.exec("/usr/bin/rsync")  -- though you may want to instead
>> invoke a script file containing the appropriate rsync arguments.
>>
>> This works fine. I've even used rsync's "dry-run" mode to create a list
>> of files that differed between two systems (e.g. staging and production)
>> to generate a form page and allow the user to pick which ones to sync.
>>
>> HTH,
>
> Thanks Hassan!
>
> I'll talk to developers to give it a try at our test environment.

The question I've been holding back since your initial post, is why
exactly you do want to load-balance similar requests to 2 Tomcats ?

Just an idea :

If it is because you have a) "image stuff" and b) "non-image stuff", and
they each represent about 50% of the load, then maybe you do not really
want to balance (with the problems of sharing and/or duplicating the
images), but you could just use a front-end to split the image stuff and
send it to Tomcat-1, and the non-image stuff and send it to Tomcat-2.
(Apache + mod_rewrite + mod_proxy).
This way, only Tomcat-1 would need to handle the images (up and down)
and it would always be up-to-date.