tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject question about non-official Tomcat package
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:05:30 GMT
Hi.

Long observation of this forum has taught me that this is a recipe for
getting instant retaliation. Go ahead, I'm waiting, and I'll try to
survive through the Flak...

On a Linux Debian system, belonging to the Debian  (thus non-official)
Tomcat 5.5 package, there is a Tomcat startup file /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5.
It is full of very smart and confusing stuff, but it seems to work very
nicely, starting and stopping Tomcat 5.5 each time without fail.  And I
didn't even have to write it, it came out-of-the-box together with the
Tomcat 5.5 installation, which would you believe it is done with a
single command line, launch and all !

Ok, I'm pushing it.

Anyway, my question is :
In this /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 file, in the "start" section, there is a
line that looks like this :
mkfifo -m700 "$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out

I am unfamiliar with the mkfifo command.  I looked at the man page, but
it did not enlighten me much further.  I have a vague idea of what a
named pipe is, but no idea why the mkfifo command could be used here,
instead of for example a "touch" + "chmod" sequence.
Does anyone care to make a guess ?

Does the fact that the "rotatelogs" utility is also used some lines
further down shed any light onto this ?

Thanks in advance,
André