tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:31:24 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
>> Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency
>> amounts problem
>>
>> so, Java is still 16-bit Unicode in its char primitive,
>> but you can use ints to hold UTF-16 values using 21-bits?
>
> The 21-bit values are represented by pairs of Java chars, the first from the UTF-16 high-surrogate
range, the second from the low-surrogate range.  The 21-bit code point can be accessed as
an int by some of the java.lang.Character methods introduced in 1.5.

>> especially since java.lang.Character only takes a char as a
>> constructor parameter :(
>
> Yes, I think all the new Character methods related to code points are static; there are
corresponding instance methods in java.lang.String though.

There is some information about this in the link that Johnny pointed out
  (excellent and very readable document in general (for a change)) :

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/core/basic/intl/faq.jsp#core-locale
paragraph : How is text represented in the Java platform?

And there is more here :

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Character.html#unicode

It's amazing what one finds, when one knows what one is looking for..