tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gabe Wong <gabri...@ngasi.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Patch Management
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:00:11 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Anand Gundanna wrote:
>
>> Dear Support,
>>
>> I would request for your help in regards to Tomcat Patch Management. I
>> hope you will be helpful in this regard.
>>
>> We have installed and configured an Tomcat web server on windows server
>> platform for an application called Business Objects XI. Tomcat web servers
>> will not be supported/maintained by our web services team as it is non
>> strategic within our organisation. But still we have hosted the Tomcat
>> servers as it is mandated by Business Objects application.
>>
>> Now the Tomcat Web server has been successfully installed and configured.
>> We need to plan for Patch management for Tomcat. At the moment we do not
>> have any external/third party tool to manage the patches automatically.
>> So, could you please clarify the following queries..
>>
>> 1) What is the best procedure/practice to keep Tomcat up-to-date with
>> patches?
>>

> There are no patches, only full releases.
>

>> 2) How frequently does Tomcat releases patches/updates and how critical it
>> is for an internal application?
>>

> ~3 per year. How critical is your call. If it ain't broke...
>

>> 3) Does Tomcat have any built in tool/feature to download and update
>> patches automatically?
>>

> Nope.
>

>> Please let me know if you know any other easy option/solution for Tomcat
>> Patch Management.
>>

> There are commercial support provides that will provide simpler patch
> management options.

Or safer bet, depending on how well the application is designed (and how
critical it is)...
install a  staging server with the new Tomcat release, and copy the
application over and test.
I do not know of any 100% proof patch/upgrade for any software.
> Mark

Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
JAVA AUTOMATION and SaaS Enablement for Cloud Computing
http://www.ngasi.com
NEW! FREE Developer account for Hosted version on Amazon EC2