tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:09:55 GMT

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Christopher Schultz []
>> Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts
>> problem
>> (My understanding is that Unicode (16-bit) is actually not big
>> enough for everything, but hey, they tried).
> Point of clarification: Unicode is NOT limited to 16 bits (not even
> in Java, these days).

Sorry, I was trying to say 16-bit Unicode without saying UTF-16 (which
is not the same).

And regarding Java... the 'char' data type is /defined/ to be 16-bits
Has this changed? When? (And how!?)

I always thought it was weird for Java to use 16-bit Unicode internally,
but then use UTF-8 for all serialized strings. I guess that's what you
get when you try to minimize file sizes and download times.

> There are defined code points that use 32
> bits, and I don't think there's a limit, if you use the defined
> extension mechanisms.  Again, browsing the Unicode web site is
> extremely enlightening.
>> Unless the browser sucks. ;)
> Let me guess which browser that is; does it start with an I?

I usually spell it with an 'M'. ;)

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -