tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jordan Michaels <>
Subject relative paths in web.xml
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 23:47:41 GMT
I'm trying to set up a "init-param" in Tomcat's main web.xml file (the
one in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml) that looks similar to the following:

and in my $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml file, I have the following:

<Host name="" appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
        <Context path="" docBase="/home/myuser/public_html/" />

My XML file is in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/myservlet/myxmlfile.xml, but
whenever I load this up, Tomcat looks for the file under the
/home/myuser/public_html/ folder.

Is there a way that I can tell tomcat to look for a file that's relative
to the $CATALINA_HOME folder instead of my Context Docbase value? It
would be ideal if the Param-Value had no relation to the Context Docbase
value at all.

Is this even possible with Tomcat?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels
Vivio Technologies
Open BlueDragon Steering Committee