tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim J Schumacher <Tim.Schumac...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject Re: User Directories and context.xml?
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:22:24 GMT
Hi Chuck,

My appbase is $CATALINA_HOME/webapps

and

CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.16

Apps running from that directory are working as expected-context.xml is
getting processed and all is good.

The question I had was, after setting up the Listener in server.xml

        <Listener   className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"
                    directoryName="public_html"
                    homeBase="/home"

userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.PasswdUserDatabase" />

so that any users on the system could create an app in
/home/username/public_html everything worked as expected *except* it
appeared that TC was not reading the public_html/META-INF/context.xml
file.  It did read the public_html/WEB-INF/web.xml and picked up the
classes and lib directory under public_html/WEB-INF as well.  The only
thing it appeared not to do was read the context.xml.

So maybe there is a context.xml somewhere else that reads and then
ignores those?  Or is this something to do with a users public_html
being outside the appbase?  The documentation hinted that maybe when you
use that Listener you only get the default context (see the link in my
first post).

Thanks!
Tim

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Tim J Schumacher [mailto:Tim.Schumacher@Colorado.EDU]
>> Subject: Re: User Directories and context.xml?
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the motivation for not reading
>> context.xml out of a user's directory?
>>

> (I apologize for coming in late on this one.)
>
> Tomcat does use context.xml out of a webapp's META-INF directory, if the file conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml
does not exist.  If said file does exist, the context.xml file in META-INF is ignored.