tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Problem with JNDI environment entry resources
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:50:37 GMT
I'm out then.  I'm fine with the way tomcat operates and don't feel
anything in the way context xml files are associated with webapps is
ambiguous.  It's really simple:

1. If you just want to deploy a webapp and don't need to define any
resources like db pools, just drop the webapp in the webapps folder.
The context xml file is not needed for such a basic deployment.  The
context path will be the name of the webapp.

2. If you need resources defined, then create a context xml file named
after the webapp and placed in conf/EngineName/HostName.

3. Only define the docBase attribute of a <Context ..> ... </Context>
element if your webapp live's outside the appBase of any of tomcat's
<Host .... > ... </Host> definitions in server.xml.

I'm sure if you'd like to make changes you could check out the tomcat
source, make your changes, create a patch, and submit your proposal in
Bugzilla for the tomcat committers to take a look at.  If you feel the
true problem is in the docs, patches are accepted for that as well.

--David