tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Kolinko" <>
Subject Re: Remote debugging via shmem, Tomcat as a service
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 01:44:39 GMT
2008/9/12 Bryan D. Fish <>:
> I'm trying to get remote debugging working with Tomcat using a shared memory
> connection.  I've been calling it remote debugging but the server and debug
> client (my IDE) are on the same host.
> Everything works well when I start Tomcat from the command line
> (bin/startup.bat).  I have the following JAVA_OPTIONS set in my environment
> variables:
> -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_shmem,address=jdbconnect,server=y,suspend=n
> I can connect to the debugger with my IDE (JCreator 4.50.010) and debug
> happily.  I can also see that the debugger is listening on that shared
> memory address in stdout.
> However, when I start Tomcat as a service, the shared memory connection
> seems to be unavailable.  I have set the following Java Options in the
> "Configure Tomcat" panel:
> -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_shmem,address=jdbconnect,server=y,suspend=n
> My IDE can't connect to the shmem address, and the log (logs/stdout.log)
> doesn't show anything about the debugger listening.
> I'm running Tomcat 5.0.28, jdk 1.5.0_16, on Windows XP SP2.
> Thanks in advance for any ideas & suggestions.
> Cheers,
> Bryan

Hi, Bryan!

I would try running Tomcat service with your own user account,
instead of the default Local System one. Maybe that will help

The JPDA documentation says that the Shared Memory Transport
is implemented using memory-mapped files. You may try to dig there,

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail: