tomcat-users mailing list archives

From DIGLLOYD INC <digllo...@diglloyd.com>
Subject JDBCRealm.getRoles causes NullPointerException
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2008 15:33:58 GMT
I'm running Tomcat 6.0.16 with DIGEST auth using:

MySQL 5.0.51b + mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar

Things work well until complete failure: every few days, all
authentication begins to fail.  When this happens, nothing appears in
catalina.out to indicate a problem, and unless I restart Tomcat, no
authentication ever succeeds again.  It begins working immediately
after Tomcat is restarted.  I've never had to restart MySQL for 2
months.

The only clue I see in catalina.out is the stack trace below (10 of
them or so), about 9 hours *prior* to my detecting the authentication
failure.  However, my access logs show that users logged in
successfully *after* that series of failures.

I'm not sure where or how to debug this further.  It seems that Tomcat
is making a bad call to next() which causes the NPE, but that's
unclear; perhaps it's ResultSetImpl with a problem.  It's also unclear
why there's a burst of such problems, then no further ones in the log,
then the hours-later complete failure.

Aug 31, 2008 5:30:48 PM org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter
service
SEVERE: An exception or error occurred in the container during the
request processing
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
com.mysql.jdbc.ResultSetImpl.setRowPositionValidity(ResultSetImpl.java:
826)
	at com.mysql.jdbc.ResultSetImpl.next(ResultSetImpl.java:7046)
	at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.getRoles(JDBCRealm.java:632)
	at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.getPrincipal(JDBCRealm.java:596)
	at org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase.authenticate(RealmBase.java:400)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina
.authenticator
.DigestAuthenticator.findPrincipal(DigestAuthenticator.java:283)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina
.authenticator
.DigestAuthenticator.authenticate(DigestAuthenticator.java:176)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina
.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:491)
	at com.diglloyd.tomcat.BadInputValve.invoke(BadInputValve.java:284)
	at
org
.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:
128)
	at
org
.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:
102)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:
568)
	at
org
.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn.invoke(SingleSignOn.java:
394)
	at
org
.apache
.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:
286)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
844)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol
$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:
447)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

Lloyd Chambers
http://diglloyd.com

[Mac OS X 10.5.2 Intel, Tomcat 6.0.16]