tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Spinassi <martins.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Balance and sync data
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:18:22 GMT
On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 14:02 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Martin Spinassi wrote:
> > Hello list!
> >

> > I'm reading some docs to make load balance with apache and 2 tomcats.
> >
> > By now I'm just at "ultra-beta" testing stage, but there is something
> > that I don't know how to resolve or search info about.
> >
> > The app at tomcat writes some files at disk, but with load balance just
> > one of both tomcats will have that info, the other one will not know
> > about that. I think that may be rsync could be a solution, but adding it
> > to a cron job every 1 minute won't resolve it, it must sync at the same
> > time that the file is modified or created.
> >

> > Is there something that can be used to do that?
> > Any documentation or link that can help me?
>
> What is the relationship between files and requests / sessions? If they are
> unique (it sounds as if they are since otherwise rsync won't work at all)
> then you might be able to use a shared file location.
>
> What information is in these files? There might be other solutions.
>
> Mark

Thanks for your reply Mark.

Most of the files are images. We don't store them in a database just to
make the database as lightweight as possible.

Using a shared place to store them can be a solution, may be using samba
or nfs. The problem about that is that using another server just for
that is a waste of resources, and including the shared path at one of
the tomcat servers, makes the possibility of, if it goes down for some
reason, the other one won't be able to take that images...

Should I store them inside a database anyway? I don't see how to resolve
this..

Thanks again for your reply, any other idea will be appreciated.

Cheers

Martín