tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Jconsole working without using any extra System property withTomcat6.0 started using Intellij Idea 7.0
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:05:16 GMT
> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
> Subject: Re: Jconsole working without using any extra System
> property withTomcat6.0 started using Intellij Idea 7.0
>
> That does not agree with the docs:
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/management/agent.html

Note that none of the examples show any value for the plain .jmxremote property (whereas .jmxremote.port,
.jmxremote.access, do have values).  The table about half way down the page is the only place
that mentions true/false for the base property, and it appears to be in error.

Experimentation with Tomcat using -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=false shows that the Agent
is loaded at startup, and all internal Tomcat MBeans are accessible via local JConsole.  LambdaProbe
shows that the property in question has a value of false.

> where are you getting your info from? I'd like to read whatever
> source you are reading.

jdk-6u7-fcs-src-b06-linux-10_jun_2008/j2se/src/share/classes/sun/management/Agent.java

If you browse through there, you'll see all the references to the plain .jmxremote property
are just for null or non-null; the value string itself is not examined.

 - Chuck