tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Jconsole working without using any extra System property withTomcat6.0 started using Intellij Idea 7.0
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:59:29 GMT
> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
> Subject: Re: Jconsole working without using any extra System
> property withTomcat6.0 started using Intellij Idea 7.0
>
> No-one. com.sun.management.jmxremote=true by default.

Minor corrections:

1) The plain com.sun.management.jmxremote does not take a value; =true (or =false or any other
setting) does not alter the behavior of JRE components that look at that system property.
 Only its existence (or non-existence) matters.  Most extensions of com.sun.management.jmxremote
do take values, such as those for setting port numbers or security.

2) Even in JDK 6, setting com.sun.management.jmxremote enables additional MBean capabilities
that are not present when that system property does not exist.  In particular, application
MBeans are made accessible to JMX programs, such as JConsole.  (I believe - but have not verified
- that this happens because with con.sun.management.jmxremote set initially, the agent in
the target JVM is loaded at startup and is thereby available to monitor MBean registrations;
when loaded after startup by JConsole or other JMX program, the agent has missed the MBean
registrations.)

 - Chuck