tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 01:00:58 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency
> amounts problem
>
> so, Java is still 16-bit Unicode in its char primitive,
> but you can use ints to hold UTF-16 values using 21-bits?

The 21-bit values are represented by pairs of Java chars, the first from the UTF-16 high-surrogate
range, the second from the low-surrogate range.  The 21-bit code point can be accessed as
an int by some of the java.lang.Character methods introduced in 1.5.

> especially since java.lang.Character only takes a char as a
> constructor parameter :(

Yes, I think all the new Character methods related to code points are static; there are corresponding
instance methods in java.lang.String though.

 - Chuck