tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: NoClassDefFoundError: org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:40:24 GMT
> From: Carol Cheung [mailto:cacheung@consumercontact.com]
> Subject: RE: NoClassDefFoundError: org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase
>
> Sorry, I'm using Tomcat 5.5. I removed catalina.jar from
> WEB-INF/lib and I am still getting the same error.

Look at the Tomcat 5.5 classloader structure:

      Bootstrap

       System

       Common
      /      \
 Catalina   Shared
             /   \
        Webapp1  Webapp2 ...

The 5.5 Realm doc says:
* Place your compiled realm in $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib
(which is Catalina in the above diagram).

However, if you do that, your Realm class(es) will not be visible to code in your webapp.
 You'll need to put your Realm in common/lib (or common/classes, if not jar'd) to let both
Tomcat and your webapp have access to your code.

BTW, it's easier in 6.0 due to the simplified classloader structure.

 - Chuck