tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:29:08 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency
> amounts problem
>
> the 'char' data type is /defined/ to be 16-bits wide
> (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/typesValues.html#4.2.1).
> Has this changed? When? (And how!?)

A char is still 16 bits, but you can now have 21-bit code points:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Character.html#unicode

These are manipulated via the int type, rather than char.

> I always thought it was weird for Java to use 16-bit Unicode
> internally

Back when Java was being defined, Unicode still was 16-bit, but not in widespread use.

> but then use UTF-8 for all serialized strings

Mostly for easy interoperation with existing editors, comm handlers, browsers, etc., which
were all byte oriented and, at the time, still largely ASCII.  The day-one existence of character
encoders in Java permitted use in non-ASCII environments.

 - Chuck