tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: JVM per Context
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:28:22 GMT
> From: Michael Dehmlow [mailto:dehmlowm@gmail.com]
> Subject: JVM per Context
>
> I have multiple contexts that are defined for a given host in
> my server.xml

Placing <Context> elements in server.xml is strongly discouraged for any current version
of Tomcat; however, you didn't bother to tell us what version of Tomcat you're using, so that
may or may not be applicable.

> each context I would like to start up in its own jvm, for dll and
> enviornment variable reasons.

Each Tomcat runs in its own JVM, so you'll need separate installations for each webapp.  Look
in the RUNNING.txt file for instructions.

> I've read documentation for tomcat 3.4 that details the use of ajp for
> communication to achieve this but can't find anything about jvms docs.

Since there never has been nor ever will be a Tomcat 3.4, what you were looking at is rather
suspect.

You will need some sort of front end to route the requests to the different Tomcat instances,
which could be httpd or some other forwarding mechanism.  Consult the Tomcat connector documentation
for whatever level you're using to figure out how to use mod_jk or mod_proxy.

 - Chuck