tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Problem with JNDI environment entry resources
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:45:52 GMT
> From: Paul Pepper [mailto:sip.sniffa@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Problem with JNDI environment entry resources
>
> Tomcat 6 docs states that docBase is a valid attribute
> in this situation.

I'll have to check the docs again.  However, docBase is only legal when the webapp is stored
outside of the <Host> appBase directory.  Otherwise, you risk ending up with double
deployment.

> unless I named the application ROOT, which is less than ideal

That is the defined mechanism for specifying the default webapp in current Tomcat levels.

> Would folks here, then, be inclined to believe that there is a bug in
> using <Context/> within a server.xml file?

Placing <Context> elements in server.xml is really only there for compatibility with
older versions of Tomcat.  Personally, I'd like to see it made illegal, which would put an
end to many potential configuration errors.

 - Chuck