tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Native library for Windows
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:19:32 GMT
> From: Brian Clark [mailto:brianclark44@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat Native library for Windows
>
> Hmmm...on Windows, what is the difference between
> java.library.path and the Windows environmental variable PATH?

By default, none.

> I have my Java Classpath set to this, which contains
> my bootstrap.jar.

Hopefully that's what shows in the tomcat6w.exe program, not something you're setting in the
system environment variables.  (If you do have a CLASSPATH environment variable, get rid of
it - it will only break things.)

> Should I just set, via JAVA_OPTS, my java.library.path to the
> same directory, since that's where I put my tcnative-1.dll file?
> -Djava.library.path=C:\Program Files\Apache Software
> Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\bin

Don't bother, the JVM is already looking there, as shown by the INFO message.

> I don't want to break anything. Setting the java.library.path
> won't make Tomcat stop looking at other libraries in other
> locations (like the built-in /lib directory) will it?

No, it won't break anything, but it's also not going to make it work.  The java.library.path
is used for native library DLLs only, not for classes.

Check for ownership and access permissions on the file - insure that the account the Tomcat
service is running under can access the DLL.

By any chance, is this a 64-bit version of Windows Server?  If so, and you're using a 64-bit
JVM, you'll need the 64-bit version of the DLL.

 - Chuck