tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Accessing server directory from applet
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:17:40 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bai Shen" <baishen.lists@gmail.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:30 PM
Subject: Accessing server directory from applet

>I have an applet that I'm hosting on Tomcat.  When I try to access the file
> system, I end up on the users file system, not the servers.  Is there a
> way
> to connect to the servers file system?
>
> Bai Shen

Bai I'm actually surprized you didnt get a security exception... as Mark
said applets run in the browser... client side.
The last time I looked at Applets (long long time ago), they dont need any
special security if you talk to the delivery server...
Remember that... if you want to talk to any other server... you into
security issues.
Things like the script coming from one machine and the applet from another,
will also catch you...

I think they horrible things... if this is a new project, have a look at
GWT... or think about a normal web page... if you can.
Will save you some pain....

The only real POJO Application Server.