tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bryan D. Fish" <bf...@security-works.com>
Subject Remote debugging via shmem, Tomcat as a service
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:10:40 GMT
I'm trying to get remote debugging working with Tomcat using a shared memory
connection.  I've been calling it remote debugging but the server and debug
client (my IDE) are on the same host.

Everything works well when I start Tomcat from the command line
(bin/startup.bat).  I have the following JAVA_OPTIONS set in my environment
variables:

-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_shmem,address=jdbconnect,server=y,suspend=n

I can connect to the debugger with my IDE (JCreator 4.50.010) and debug
happily.  I can also see that the debugger is listening on that shared
memory address in stdout.

However, when I start Tomcat as a service, the shared memory connection
seems to be unavailable.  I have set the following Java Options in the
"Configure Tomcat" panel:

-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_shmem,address=jdbconnect,server=y,suspend=n

My IDE can't connect to the shmem address, and the log (logs/stdout.log)
doesn't show anything about the debugger listening.

I'm running Tomcat 5.0.28, jdk 1.5.0_16, on Windows XP SP2.

Thanks in advance for any ideas & suggestions.

Cheers,
Bryan