tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:28:07 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Willem Moors" <willemslist@gmail.com>

>> .... I think... you looking in the wrong place...
>>
>> Convert it to bytes... and print that... you will see it... I think
>
> Can it be one of the libraries (*.jar) that is different, that forcec TC6
> act differently ?

--- Will's Phantom Font Project ---

I been trying to find a way for you to set the font you want for a locale...
It does seem to be an option in JAVA... ie I think Java is expecting to find
that from a GUI

But here is the whole story....
http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/core/basic/intl/faq.jsp#core-locale

Notice that on linux there are things like it depends if the font server
starts up... yada yada.
I'm totally surprized that its the same JRE...

I think it may be possible that something else is setting the font... and
then the JRE is using that.
The above link actually gives you a way to find out what font is been picked
up...

But... I think this is all wrong anyway... say you get it figured out, and
pick Heleva... or whatever... then you now have to tell the browser to use
that in CSS or whatever.... its the beginning of a complex cycle...

&pound.... is making it the browsers problem and internally the browser will
find a font and make it happen...

And then if someone moves your servlet to a headless linux.... here we go
again... is the font there... etc

I think you can get it to work, and it is interesting... but I'm not sure
you want to...

I'd luv to know if the theory is right on your system... ie run this

      String s = currencyFormat.format(1623540.00 );
      byte[] ba = s.getBytes();
      String ans = "";
      for (int i = 0; i < ba.length; i++) {
          ans += Integer.toHexString(ba[i]);
      }
      System.out.print("DA BYTES : " + ans);

See if the bytes are changing... ie the fonts are changing...

... that me out of idea's... other than it look like Java's localization can
nail you... and I'm now worrying about some of my systems... ha ha.
The only real POJO Application Server.