tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:43:20 GMT
OK, Wil.... you made me do some homework... got it sorted for you....

You must not guess the Charset... as we been doing.

Use this function....

System.out.print("CharSet : " + Charset.defaultCharset().toString());

and thats what you HAVE TO set your page at....

On my system it tells me its..... windows-1252

On Solaris if you running in a C Locale... it will be US-ASCII
If you running in a US locale it will be ISO-8859-1

Now you doing Ajax, so I imagine you may want to inject this stuff in DIV
statements...
.... I'll let someone else try answer that... mission impossible... I think.

So... you have to convert character sets from what the locale is using...
from the looks of things different on every single machine and OS... to what
you using in the web page proper... probably UTF8 if you are
internationalizing....

... it a headache... rather refactor your code so the pages are all the same
charset of your choosing and work with &pound, &yen &dollar....

.... anyway use that function to get the decoding that is actually been
used... they all changed from "outside" Java... in linux itself by the
user... so you cannot guess... and then how you going to try get that Ajax
into DIV's and tables using Javascript and DHtml or whatever.... only you
know ;)

..... Dont do it......
The only real POJO Application Server.