tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Ignorance about some things.
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2008 17:38:17 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Manuel Trujillo" <mtrujillo@vlex.com>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 1:41 PM
Subject: Ignorance about some things.

> Hi!
>
> Excuse me if this question is not correct for this list (also about my
> bad english...).
>
> I have two machines with tomcat 5.5. One is an Opensuse 10.3 32 bits,
> the other is the same *but* in 64 bits. Same hardware, same config,
> same... all.
> In the 32 bits machine we haven't any error about insuficient java
> memory; never, while into the 64 bits we need to make an "automatic"
> restart of tomcat every 50 minutes.
>
> Is the java 64 bits more "memory-eat" than 32 bits?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Manu

Manu 64 bit JRE is a relatively new thing in Java...
The memory handling is different but its swings and balances and I dont
believe it should be crashing your machine every 50 mins...

The guys tell me that the JRE did have a memory heap allocation bug... in
pre JRE's 6...
Its not tomcat.... apparently if you want to play with 64 bit... get the
very latest JRE 6 from SUN direct.
Have fun...

And dont use 64 bit on client JRE's yet... thats not all right yet, like
webstart wont function etc...

The only real POJO Application Server.