tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:44:56 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "André Warnier" <aw@ice-sa.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem

> Johnny Kewl wrote:
>>
>> If you do decide to look at this link...
>> http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/core/basic/intl/faq.jsp#core-locale
>
> The above link seems to be extremely informative, right on the spot for
> this thread.
> Thanks.
>
> Among other things, it points out that changing the "default locale" for
> the Tomcat JVM (as I am forced to do to make this servlet work properly)
> may be unsafe, see the "What is the default encoding?" paragraph.
>
> André

Chuck knows his stuff...
I treat char sets as black box's, the things work or dont ;) pain in the
butt... UTF8 just seems to work... pretty safe bet.
I'm not very scientific when it comes to this stuff... but I get the need
for unicode...
America forgot about the rest of the world when they made ascii... and we
been suffering ever since... ha ha
Diff perspective ;)

Chuck talks code points and all that good stuff... but I think that when
they made double byte codes and microsoft did their thing and then Java
tried to fix it for the rest of the world... that they must have made that
original ascii a "subset" of other codes...

So I think... if a client is expecting ISO, or UTF and it is in fact ascii
because of those locale issues... I dont think it will break down
completely... it will still "get" that ascii... but german chars and all the
rest, will just be ?... high chars as you call them will fail.

Its actually amazing how clever these guys are that moved US into a system
that included the forgotten world ;) without breaking the whole thing...
Trouble is... us humans see the "fonts" and have to guess whats going on
underneath...

Its not over... the opera browser already talks... and just wait for it...
musical "mood" and emphasis will become a thing and then they going to need
more bytes... so we can have singing sentences in 150 languages... and some
clever guy is going to map the past into the future again...

When Gate's off spring have taken over the planet ;) Our kids will be
saying... how come the my budgie sounds like a dog barking... in IE 306
Someone will say ...are you using EUTF256

Will be another long thread... its going to get worse ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.