tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:42:03 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Willem Moors" <willemslist@gmail.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency amounts problem

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Mark Hagger
> <mark.hagger@m-spatial.com>wrote:
>
>> You are almost certainly having a problem with (default) character
>> encodings on your system, usual things to check are the encoding that
>> the JVM is using, for example what does:
>>
>> echo $LANG
>>
>> return (usually controlled by what's defined in /etc/sysconfig/i18n -
>> although I'm not familiar with Ubuntu systems).
>

> echo $LANG gives me this:
> en_US.UTF-8
>

>> The most likely thing is that the tomcat servlet is effectively
>> generating content in UTF-8, and then trying to return this character to
>> the end client, via a PrintWriter, in ISO1 where the currency symbol in
>> use is not supported by ISO1, hence the '?'.  Alternatively tomcat is
>> returning either ISO1 or UTF-8 characters but not declaring them as such
>> in its response headers, leaving the browser confused and its choosing
>> the wrong "default".  Be useful to know what headers tomcat is returning
>> really.
>
> But then, it would be the same issue for tomcat 5.5, no ? And there it
> doesn't go wrong...
> Like stated earlier: I rather think it has something to do with the Tomcat
> 6
> configuration, because all else is equal: same server with same java /
> same
> webapp / same client(FF4) / .. only in Tomcat 5.5 it does work, and in
> Tomcat 6 it doesn't.
>
> Thanks for your reply, Mark!
>
> Regards,
>
> Willem

Will, I cant see how TC can be influencing it....
You write a char (the pound) to an output stream it appears differently in
browser...
TC is just sendign what it gets...
Its got to be this...
    NumberFormat.getCurrencyInstance(Locale.UK)
and that is Java... so I conclude... TC 6 is not on the same JDK/JRE as TC 5

You JAVA has changed... must be..

That stuff that you like is LOCALE stuff... and that stuff can all be
configured from outside Java...

You are choosing a Locale... but if the font.property files in JRE/LIB
are different... its probably picking a wide super new Sun font... which in
swing will make no diffs... but
where the old JRE was using the something a browser gets... the new GB_SUPER
font with english flags and the national anthem... confuses current
browsers.

.... I think... you looking in the wrong place...

Convert it to bytes... and print that... you will see it... I think

Then just to confince yourself that TC is not doing a weird Arabic header...
get the header plugin for FireFox... and have a look...
I doubt they diffs...

Have more fun...
The only real POJO Application Server.