tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.5 / Windows / procrun ?
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2008 06:40:38 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "André Warnier" <aw@ice-sa.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:41 AM
Subject: Tomcat 5.5 / Windows / procrun ?

> Hi.
>
> I have Tomcat 5.5 running on a variety of platforms, among them Windows XP
> (my laptop) and Windows 2003 server.
> For the Windows installation, until now I have been using the Windows
> Service Installer from the Tomcat 5.5 download page, and it works fine.
>
> But could someone shed some light on the following puzzle ?
>
> A recent discussion on this list triggered my curiosity, and as a result I
> bumped into several things :
>
> - the installer for Windows installs a version of Tomcat 5.5 devoid of the
> usual "startup.sh/bat", "catalina.sh/bat" etc.. and instead just installs
> a couple of files in Tomcat_home\bin, of which a tomcat5.exe (which seems
> to be the Tomcat executable), and a tomcat5w.exe which is the Windows GUI
> allowing to configure the Tomcat service..
>
> - the "ImagePath" Registry entry for the Tomcat 5.5 Service shows this :
>  C:\Tomcat5.5\bin\tomcat5.exe //RS//Tomcat5
>
> - On the Tomcat 5.5 download page, in addition to the installer, there
> also exists a Tomcat 5.5 zip file. That one seems to contain the full
> complement of usual files of Tomcat, including Tomcat_home\bin, plus the
> tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe which are also in the installer package.
> It also contains a file "service.bat" which is described nowhere, but
> seesm to be related to the procrun item of which question below.
>
> The Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6 on-line documentation, setup page, section for
> Windows, only seem to mention the Installer package.  There is a link on
> both the 5.5 and 6.0 Windows setup sections, pointing to a "Windows
> Service HowTo", which leads to a page mentioning "procrun 1.0", but in the
> same breath indicating that it is now obsolete.
>
> Digging further, I found a link to the Apache Commons project "Daemon",
> which seems to include this "procrun" for Windows, and also a "jsvc" for
> Unix.
>
> The page there relative to procrun,
> (http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html)
>  apart from being relatively difficult to read, seems interesting and
> seems to match the way my Windows Tomcat 5.5 instances are really
> installed and running.
> (See registry line above).
> But I found nowhere a link to download this procrun in binary form.
> I also did not find any link there pointing to any other version of
> procrun...
>
> On the other side of things, this same Apache Commons Daemon project also
> covers a "jsvc", which seems to be a wrapper allowing to "run Tomcat as a
> daemon under Unix/Linux".
>
> I believe I have seen mentions of this jsvc in some Tomcat documents (or
> in this forum ?), but at any rate my Tomcat Debian Linux systems seem to
> run Tomcat 5.5 as daemon perfectly fine, without seeming to use this jsvc
> module.
> So I wonder what it is used for.
>

> What I kind of piece together of all this is as follows :

> [...]
-----------------------
Thats about right from when I looked at it a while back...

Java can be controlled from C... thats what the libs do... there is a linux
and windows version...
If you look at the tomcat bootstrap class, you will see it has the
(interface) methods that Procrun calls into.

So its just a windows service that starts the java engine, and calls into a
java class to get it running...

If you want the binary for procrun... its just the tomcatX.exe file...
rename it... ha ha

The TomcatW file is just a human interface... probably talking directly to
the windows registry (params).

service bat... lets a user get it installed...

So if you have the TC zip version and want to install it as a service...
service install
will do it.

The real problem with installing TC from a zip is just that the APR is not
there... and its a mission to guess the right one...
Stupid window users like myself... like setup and forget... makes clients
happy as well ;)

jsvc is probably a legacy from the early days when tomcat was no packed into
linux dists... and very like a component in any linux dist, be it under a
diff name.
The original problem when java came out that every one asked was how to get
a service going which needed to control the jre from C...
If you have a look at the source... how C does control the JRE is quite
interesting.
Hidden Sun secrets... ha ha

Inside that deamon bundle there is a procrun source VS6 project...
Of course because Microsfot has changed the C standards so much in their new
stuff... so they can try make a Java under the name of "Managed" cockup
(dotNet), these projects are near impossible to compile in new MS tools...
Gates is protecting his turf...
Actually the real problem is that Java makes string so easy, MS had to
modify all their tools to steal it ;)

But if you dig around in the Apache projects... its a gold mine, if you know
what you looking for ;)
... just keep your old MS tools ;)

Look inside service.bat... remember that tomcat.exe is actually procrun...
and you can turn ANY jave program into a service with just those two
files...
... neat hey ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.