tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kees Jan Koster <kjkos...@kjkoster.org>
Subject Re: Disabling catalina.out log
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:05:10 GMT
Dear Irwan Hadi,

> Just curious if anybody knows how to disable tomcat from logging to
> catalina.out, possibly by editing the server.xml file?

check out ${tomcat}/conf/logging.conf

> True that we can link catalina.out to /dev/null or truncate the file
> every
> now and then, but we prefer to use a more sane approach, than just
> truncating the file...

Truncating? It should be a rolling file, rolling over daily. You can
just remove the old versions. Is this a stock tomcat, one from the
ports, or maybe a particularly old one?

The most sane approach would be to work with your developers to have
some logging policy that both you and the developers can work with.
You'll need at least the exception traces when Tomcat dies, or you're
blind.

But then, there is nothing like saving a few bucks in disk space at
the expense of hours of blind debugging. :-)
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
06-51838192

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe
so full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry
Partchett