tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tommy Pham <tommy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Intgrate Tomcat and PHP in winxp
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:33:08 GMT
Hi Radhakrishna,

--- On Sun, 8/17/08, Radhakrishnavangara <radhakrishna.vangara@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Radhakrishnavangara <radhakrishna.vangara@gmail.com>
> Subject: Intgrate Tomcat and PHP in winxp
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Date: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 3:24 PM
> Hi,
>
> Could you please let me know the step by step instructions
> for integrating
> Tomcat with PHP on Win XP. I have tried implementing
> various methodologies
> to integrate the same , but i could not achieve any
> breakthrough on the
> same. Below are some of the links to the articles which i
> have referred.
> Could you please go through the same and clarify me on this
> issue.
>
> http://www.windowscomputer.com/node/3814
> http://www.theasolutions.com/tutorials/tomcatphp.jsp
> http://the-double-0-project.net/blog/?tag=tomcat
> http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:szlV41sb9qwJ:uranus.im.chu.edu.tw/~dtchang/phpexplorer/html/download.php%3Ffn%3D..%252F..%252Fpub%252F.%252Fdownload%252Fapache_tomcat%252FRunning%2Bphp%2B5.x%2Bon%2Bwindows%2Busing%2Btomcat%2B4.x%2Bor%2B5.x%2B-%2BSimple%2BThoughts%2B-%2BJava%2Band%2BWeb%2BSoftware.pdf+angusman+tomcat&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=in
> http://www.duminy.fr/blog/?p=22&language=en
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Radhakrishna
> --
> Nabble.com.

IMO if you want to use PHP with Tomcat, it's best you read the documentation for both products
and their technology as it will help you secure the server/platform and troubleshoot any problems
that may arise including application crashes and security breaches.
For PHP5: http://www.php.net/manual/en/
For Tomcat6: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/index.html
For Tomcat5.5: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/index.html

You can just go through the installation steps w/o doing the actual installation to see what
you have available.  Though I haven't tried this method, I think you can run PHP as CGI in
Tomcat.  You'll just have to edit the web.xml in $CATALINA_HOME/conf folder and follow PHP's
instruction of installing as CGI.

The method I prefer and have tested to work (in Unix environment although on Windows should
be similar) is running Apache HTTPD server with PHP as a mod and use the connector to connect
to Tomcat.  If this method is used, it's easier to implement other technologies later such
Perl, Python and Mono (for .Net) inside Apache HTTPD as mod-*.

But you may want to evaluate your needs and goals before choosing ;)

Regards,
Tommy