tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tommy Pham <tommy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Struts vs JSF (poll?)
Date Sun, 24 Aug 2008 05:03:37 GMT
Hi everyone,

This maybe out of scope for this list but I wanted to know more about Struts vs JSF other
this old article [1].  Which are are deployed mostly on your TC server(s)/cluster(s)?  If
any Java developers are on this list, which platform API do you prefer for quick development
(to meet deadline), performance, security management (user authentication and level restriction)
etc... since both are based on MVC despite their different implementations(?).

Since there isn't a JSR for Struts, has Struts been around before JCP is formed?  And why
is there not a JSR for Struts now (just curious)?

As for JSF, which implementation is used by/for your app(s)? Sun/NetBeans? Apache's MyFaces?
or Others (please list)?  I'm somewhat disappointed Netbeans support for JSF and Struts in
that Netbeans bundled libs support used older Apache Commons lib version (even for the current
v6.1), although this could be updated but I don't know whether it will break the integration
of Netbeans' VWP.  Even the tutorial/trails on NetBeans site regarding Struts (although this
can be compensated at Struts' web site) is very limited perhaps because of the (biased?) Struts
weak integration to favor or push more on JSF/Visual JSF?

I need to evaluate my options of API and IDE before I dedicate several projects since the
performance of Netbeans is getting worse by every release comparing to Eclipse.  As for server,
I've decided already ;)

TIA,
Tommy

[1] http://websphere.sys-con.com/node/46516