tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Len Popp" <len.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: where to place context configuration
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:24:23 GMT
So, the server admin can configure the DB server etc. by editing the
file under the conf dir, but every time they deploy a new version of
the app the settings are auto-wiped?

Setting aside for the moment what you think I deserve...
That's far from ideal in an environment where the developers and the
server admins are not within shouting distance. (Such as where I
work.)
--
Len

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 14:57, Caldarale, Charles R
<Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: Angus Mezick [mailto:amezick@lumberliquidators.com]
>> Subject: RE: where to place context configuration
>>
>> Am I the only one that is REALLY disturbed about that idea of
>> REQUIRING two identical files to run an app?
>
> Probably, because Tomcat does not require that.  You may place the <Context> element
in either location, but Tomcat *may* copy the one from META-INF/context.xml to conf/Catalina/[host]
so it can access it directly.  Proper undeployment will remove the copy.  If you're doing
a brute force replacement of a .war rather than a real undeployment, you deserve what you
get.

> You have the option of placing the webapp's <Context> element in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml
so that you can override the one packaged in the .war file - often necessary with prepackaged
apps that might require special configuration for a particular site.