tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter <pcimr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat does not unpack WAR file (Tomcat 5.5.20)
Date Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:13:47 GMT
I may be going slightly off-topic for this thread, but I have 2
questions regarding the ROOT.xml ROOT.xml fragment file...

As a test, I removed ROOT.xml and tested the app behavior. Specifically,
I performed these steps to remove the ROOT.xml fragment file:

=> I removed ROOT.xml from ...conf\Catalina\localhost.

=> I stopped Tomcat, deleted the 'work' folder and started Tomcat again.

=> I cleared all cookies from the client machine's web browser.

The ROOT.xml file that I removed looked like this:

<Context cookies="false" path="" debug="1"/>

What puzzles me is this:

1. In order to map the ROOT web context to the root URI ('/'), I
included the (path="") attribute in ROOT.xml.

However, even after removing the ROOT.xml fragment file, the ROOT web
app is still mapped to the root URI ('/') i.e. when I navigate to the
server's root domain name, the ROOT wabapp is invoked.

Was I mistaken in thinking that the (path="") attribute is required?

2. Similarly, I included the (cookies="false") attribute to enable URL
rewriting for browsers that do not support cookies.

However, even after removing the ROOT.xml fragment file, URL rewriting
takes place - IF the web browser does not support cookies.

Have I missed something - or does the (cookies="false") do something
slightly different to what I thought?

Just to re-iterate, I am runningTomcat 5..5.20

Thanks
Pete

Johnny Kewl wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter" <pcimring@gmail.com>

Peter Cimring
Software Developer
(: +972 52-545-9364
*: pcimring@gmail.com

"/"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."/ - Arthur C. Clarke