tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Post form with "x-www-form-urlencoded" content type and Coyote Connector
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 01:01:53 GMT
Len Popp wrote:
> No, when a browser sends a POST request the request params are *not*
> sent as part of the request URI. They are sent in the body of the
> request. With Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded the
> request body looks like this:
>
> param1=a&param2=b
>
> You can use a browser plugin such as LiveHTTPHeaders or ieHTTPHeaders
> to look at the contents of the request and make sure the parameters
> are in the request body.

I did, and you're right, I stand corrected.
It is clearly explained here :
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.3.3
Step four: Submit the encoded form data set

and it becomes a lot clearer once you know what it means of course.
;-)

So, a follow-up question :
if you do a request.getInputStream(), do you get the body "raw" ?
(meaning you them have to do your own decoding of the parameters ?)