tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: Intgrate Tomcat and PHP in winxp
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:19:15 GMT
Radhakrishna

The main issue here is that it is probably not worth doing. You would
probably be better off investigating tuning apache and php. I assume
that your existing installation uses mod_php? If so, the php and apache
lists may be of help. httpd can be extensively tuned for memory
footprint and performance.

Tomcat is a java application server. The cgi access method is a
convenience for working with other types of application (non-java). If
you use the cgi approach you will:

1. create an entirely new process for each request (very time consuming
in both memory and cpu cycles)

2. be open to more security vulnerabilities. See
http://www.php.net/manual/en/security.cgi-bin.php

Unless your server is serving predominantly java applications with a few
  PHP apps your proposed approach will be slower, not faster, and more
difficult to maintain.

As far as doing it 'step by step', IMHO this is an 'advanced' task and
you should not be undertaking it until you fully understand all the
implications for performance and security. As Tommy suggests, read and
understand the documentation first.

Regards

Alan Chaney

>>> http://www.theasolutions.com/tutorials/tomcatphp.jsp
>>> http://the-double-0-project.net/blog/?tag=tomcat
>>> http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:szlV41sb9qwJ:uranus.im.chu.edu.tw/~dtchang/phpexplorer/html/download.php%3Ffn%3D..%252F..%252Fpub%252F.%252Fdownload%252Fapache_tomcat%252FRunning%2Bphp%2B5.x%2Bon%2Bwindows%2Busing%2Btomcat%2B4.x%2Bor%2B5.x%2B-%2BSimple%2BThoughts%2B-%2BJava%2Band%2BWeb%2BSoftware.pdf+angusman+tomcat&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=in