tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: customer specific settings of webapps
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:25:43 GMT
Paul Hammes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a webapplication wich is distributed in one war for different customers.
> Unfortunately there are customer specific settings I normally would like to define in
the enclosed web.xml.
> Because this would lead to, that I have to pack one war per customer, I am looking for
a more comfortable solution:

> Do you know a pattern how to define these settings externally of the war-file?

Depends on the settings but if you can express them as resources, define
defaults in META-INF/context.xml which will get extracted to
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/contextpath.xml which the
customers can then edit or replace with another file you give them.

Subsequent updates of the war will not overwrite the extracted context.xml
file (although an undeploy of the context will remove it).

Mark