tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: What can <url-pattern> accept?
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:14:04 GMT
Guojun Zhu wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, it seems that the servlet API allows only this in
<url-pattern> specs :
- A string beginning with a / character and ending with a /* suffix is
used for path mapping.
- A string beginning with a *. prefix is used as an extension mapping.
- A string containing only the / character indicates the "default"
servlet of the application. In this case the servlet path is the request
URI minus the context path and the path info is null.
- All other strings are used for exact matches only.

In other words, "/admin/*.do" is not a valid way to match what you want,
since it will match only "/admin/*.do", literally.

For 20 years at least, there have been 2 widely-used pattern-matching
variations in existence :
- the "file glob" kind of pattern, where "*" anywhere matches any number
of characters and ? anywhere matches one character
- regular expressions
Why the designers of the servlet API found it useful or necessary to
invent yet their own different way of matching wildcards, and a rather
brain-dead one at that, is beyond me.
But so it seems to be.

This being said, it seems that there exists a "servlet filter" which
allows much more flexibility.  I have not tried it myself yet, but I
have seen a lot of nice things written about it.
Check out : http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/

André