tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: URIEncoding UTF-16 problem
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:12:33 GMT
Nayyer Kamran wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am facing problem in accessing deployed modules once I configured connector's URIEncoding
to "UTF-16" in server.xml.
Hi.

Could you tell us *why* exactly you did set this attribute ?
It is rather unusual, as it supposes that you expect all clients to
encode their requested URI's in UTF-16 prior to sending the request to
Tomcat on that connector.  To my knowledge, no standard client (browser)
will ever do so.

Also, do you really known what it means ?
UTF-16 is a Unicode encoding where each character occupies 2 bytes (16
bits).  For most of the Western and Eastern European alphabetic
characters, this results in a byte 0 followed by a non-zero byte.
That probably explains why Tomcat is not recognising any of the URLs
that you try to access, and giving 404 errors all the time.  It's just
that the URI as Tomcat sees it, never matches any of your webapps.

Setting the URI encoding differently from the default normally supposes
that the two sides (client and server) agree on an alternative encoding
for the URI's.  You cannot just do it on one side and not on the other.

André