tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Apache / mod_jk / Jboss-tomcat weirdness
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2008 09:56:02 GMT
pthyseba@intec.ugent.be wrote:

> A weird thing I see is that sometimes, the apache server status page
> displays requests/threads in the "W" (sending reply) state up to Apache
> timeout, while the Jboss Jk status shows no threads for that client in the
> "Service" state.

Fix your firewall. It silently closes the connections without
sending FIN to the other node.

> In fact, most of the "busy" threads are reported to be in the "Keepalive"
> state - I presume due to the use of  socket_keepalive = 1 in
> workers.properties.

That's not the reason. AJP connections are always in Keepalive
state (Keepalive here means connection reuse)

> It seems the poster pointed to by the link I gave solved his problem by
> implementing the mod_jk firewall howto in the end (i.e. set
> socket_keepalive to 1) - but I am still having similar issues it seems.
> Does this ring a bell with anyone?

socket_keepalive uses OS property for SO_KEEPALIVE. In many systems
it defaults to very huge value (5 minutes +), so it might not be
relevant if your firewall setting has lower timeout.

Regards
--
^(TM)