tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
Subject Re: Sudden missing javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet ?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 18:12:08 GMT
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

All,

Oh, yeah: there's no SecurityManager to worry about, either.

Thanks,
- -chris

Christopher Schultz wrote:
| All,
|
| I've checked everything I can think of. Today, my dev instance of Tomcat
| started acting funny, saying:
| java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
| ~        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
| ~        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
| ~        at
| java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
|
| (ultimately coming from)
|
| ~        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
| ~        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:433)
|
| I've checked the obvious things:
|
| 1. Only one copy of servlet-api.jar anywhere (it's in
| TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib and has md5 hash of
| 043724d8aadd4e5c50417dfcef52934b)
|
| 2. All configuration files appear to be sane (using copies available in
| our cvs repo and verified working by a colleague)
|
| 3. No CLASSPATH set anywhere (and adding an echo in catalina.sh confirms
| this)
|
| I've rebooted, just in case my system went braindead (it's Linux: it
| hadn't, and the error persists).
|
| I've re-installed Tomcat (5.5.26, since you asked), but the installation
| directory had no differences after the install than before the install
| except for the presence of mysql-connector-whatever.jar.
|
| I deleted my own webapp from the deployment directory and dropped
| LambdaProbe's probe.war into my webapps directory, just to check, and
| that application seems to deploy with no complaints.
|
| Here is the list of files in my webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory:
| antlr-2.7.3-runtime.jar      expreval-1.0a.jar
| chadis-tools-1.1.jar         jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar
| commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar  jmock-1.0.1.jar
| commons-chain-1.1.jar        junit-3.8.1.jar
| commons-collections-3.2.jar  log4j-1.2.15.jar
| commons-digester-1.8.jar     ppg.jar
| commons-lang-2.2.jar         securityfilter-2.0+.jar
| commons-logging-1.1.1.jar    struts-core-1.3.8.jar
| commons-validator-1.3.1.jar  struts-taglib-1.3.8.jar
| dxengine-1.0b.jar            velocity-1.4.jar
| engine-1.0a.jar              velocity-tools-1.4.jar
|
| Those you might not recognize are in-house libraries. But, you can see,
| there's no servlet-api.jar or anything like that.
|
| The server.xml file I'm using works file with LambdaProbe, so there is
| not likely to be an error in there.
|
| I'm totally confused. This install has been working literally for years,
| and today it decided to crap out.
|
| Does anyone have any suggestions for what to check? It's obviously my
| own application, but I can't see anything that might be problematic.
|
| Thanks,
| -chris

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkibOvgACgkQ9CaO5/Lv0PBpKQCcDvGtNQXCJBSDOnaxV+vg56XS
OS0An1HH0inf8SVKvFjwIzuD0M26sLvb
=EdkQ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org


Mime
View raw message