tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can two Tomcat's safely share the same webapps directory?
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 06:44:38 GMT
Richard M wrote:
> Progress: Well so far it seems to work in preliminary testing. Is there
> anything or any reason to shy away from this solution? Both Tomcat's will
> have separate work directories. The JSP's will run on the first Tomcat
> instance, the batch processing on the second.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas, thoughts, etc. - Richard

I'd be nervous about this simply because it isn't, as far as I am aware, a
requirement that was considered when designing it. That said,
- separate work dirs are a must and will resolve most (all?) issues and you
are already doing this
- sharing a single directory should be OK, sharing a WAR or the entire
appBase is likely to be more problematic
- I assume you are using a context.xml file on at least one instance. If
you have one on both, be careful to keep the two in sync

Other than that, if you testing looks good then you should be OK.

Just as a word of warning, if you do hit a bug that is caused by the
sharing of the dir then depending on the bug it might not get fixed on the
grounds that it is an unsupported configuration. Equally, if it is a simple
fix that has little/no impact then it is likely that it would be applied.

Good luck!

Mark